Advice and Information - Driving Permits / Licenses

Driving licenses and International Driving Permits [I.D.P]

When you arrive to collect your motorcycle at the start of your ride you will need to bring along your motorcycle license or driving license with motorcycle entitlement clearly displayed, your passport if you are visiting from outside of Australia and a credit card for the security bond. It’s also a good idea to take along your booking confirmation as well, as this contains all the necessary contact information for the relevant depot.

Most driving / motorcycle licenses are perfectly adequate for renting a motorcycle and touring around New Zealand, there are however a few notable exceptions. If your license is not printed in English or does not include English translations of the relevant sections, then you must get either a certified translation of your license, or an International Driving Permit [IDP].

Not only will it make collecting your motorcycle a breeze, but it will head off any long and confusing question and answer sessions with the local police, should you happen to be stopped by the constabulary at any point on your ride.

So to summarise then: The documents you will need in order to rent a motorcycle in New Zealand and have the best time possible if you are visiting from overseas are your passport, credit card and driving license with a certified translation or International Driving Permit. Oh, and a sense of adventure, that’s always important!

We look forward to welcoming you to New Zealand soon!

Please contact us if you have any questions about anything regarding motorcycle licenses in New Zealand or motorcycle touring around New Zealand in general.